We’re an affiliate
We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, we may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Thank you if you use our links, we really appreciate it!
Just like us humans, our dear pets also require some grooming. However, unlike us, they don’t need to be washed every single day. Whippets, in particular, require minimal grooming.
It’s actually best if you wash them only once every 4 to 6 weeks. This is because whippets are short-haired and frequent washing might harm their skin. Also, the fur of these dogs is self-cleaning.
That being said, you will need a good shampoo to wash your puppy when the time comes. For whippets, you have to be very careful before buying any shampoo. You need to go for one that is mild and does not harm your dog’s coat and skin.
This is because whippets tend to have allergies and sensitive skin. Your best bet would be to buy hypo-allergenic shampoos and medicated shampoo, depending on your dog’s needs.
In this article, we will review some fantastic shampoos that are ideal for whippets; but first, look at some of the things you should consider when buying shampoo and how to bathe your puppy.
In a hurry?
If you’re in a hurry and don’t have time to read the whole article, I’ve linked the best dog shampoos for Whippets below for you to find on Amazon. Rest assured we only choose the best products for our readers.
Best Overall – Vet’s Best Hypo-Allergenic Shampoo For Dogs With Sensitive Skin
Best Budget Shampoo – Healthy Breeds Herbal Avocado Healthy Dog Shampoo
Best Premium Shampoo – The Blissful Dog Whippet Drama Queen Shampoo
Things To Consider Before Buying A Shampoo For Your Whippet
Before buying any shampoo for your greyhound, there are several factors that you need to consider.
Any Skin Conditions
This should be your primary consideration. Establish whether your whippet has and allergies or other skin conditions. You might need to consult your vet for this.
Once you understand whether your dog has any condition, you will be better positioned to choose the right shampoo.
However, because whippets have sensitive skin, they tend to develop a lot of allergies. Therefore, it is always safe to go for hypo-allergenic shampoos.
If your dog has any skin irritation go for shampoos with natural ingredients such as aloe vera, which helps moisturise the skin and soothe the irritation.
Also, if your dog has any visible wounds or sores, it would be best you consult with your vet before bathing it. In such cases, most vets recommend medicated shampoos depending on the severity of your pet’s injury.
The colour of your dog is also important. Most whippets are grey- however, some can have a significant amount of white or grey in their coats.
If your puppy falls on the whiter side, you may use whitening shampoo. However, be careful not to use a lot as whitening shampoos tend to be very concentrated.
Due to their thin coating, whippets are prone to experiencing dandruff and having dry skin. To mitigate this, you can choose to go for moisturising shampoo.
Such shampoos are normally made from Shea butter or a combination of other natural ingredients. If your puppy has a severe dandruff case, you can also opt for shampoos that contain sulfur. However, before resulting in such shampoos, consult your vet first.
Every shampoo is made using different ingredients. The only thing that might be similar is the category that the different shampoos fall under, for example, cleansers or skin soothers.
While more and more manufacturers are leaning towards natural raw materials, always check the ingredient list to ensure that your dog does not have any allergic reaction.
Also, choose the right fragrant to ensure your dog smells amazing after its bathe.
6 Best Dog Shampoos For Whippets
Healthy Breeds Herbal Avocado Shampoo
When this product was being developed, it’s almost as if the manufacturers only thought about whippets. While the shampoo is versatile and can be used on other dog breeds, it is particularly suited for whippets.
This is because it is made from natural avocado extract-which is known for its soothing effects.
Since whippet skin is sensitive and it tends to dry up, you need a moisturising shampoo just like this one.
This product helps nourish your dog’s skin and coat and removes dry crusty scales and dead skin. What’s great about this shampoo is that it is gentle. You won’t have to worry about it scratching, hurting, or irritating your dog’s skin.
No matter how much we try, pests such as fleas always seem to infest our dear pests. This shampoo can help you fight such flea infestation without having to rely on other chemical products.
Also, the shampoo is hypo-allergenic. This is especially important for whippets as they tend to develop grass allergies.
When you wash your puppy with this product, you can be guaranteed that it will have a soft, silky coat and a fragrant avocado smell that will have you petting it all day.
Lastly, there are no harmful chemicals or irritants that are used in the production of this shampoo. However, it is important to check the ingredient list and establish whether your puppy might be allergic to any of them.
- Made from the natural avocado extract
- Relatively affordable
- It does not contain any harmful chemicals or irritants
- Can result in slight itching for some dogs
- The smell is a hit or a miss (some love it and others don’t)
- Healthy Breeds Avocado Herbal Shampoo is a natural and gentle shampoo with avocado extract that provides a soothing effect while moisturizing and nourishing your dog's skin and coat.
- Remove dry crusty scales and dead skin without scratching or hurting your dog. Effective against coats with flea infestation and dogs with grass allergies. Safe with topical flea products!
- Will make your dog's coat more manageable without tangles. Leaves the coat with a soft silky feeling and a warm avocado smell that you will love. No harmful chemicals or irritants. It can be used as often as necessary and will not strip the coat of natural oils.
- Buy with confidence! MADE IN THE USA! All shampoos made in federally regulated manufacturing facilities! Excellent customer service and return policy. 100% satisfaction guaranteed!
- Healthy Breeds offers an assortment of dog healthcare products, dental products, grooming products and treats for over 200 breeds! Make sure to search for your breed! Click the Healthy Breeds hyperlink above the title to see our amazon storefront!
The Blissful Dog Drama Queen Dog Shampoo
Whippets can be wimps or dramatic sometimes; that is why we just had to include this shampoo. This Drama Queen Dog Shampoo not only lives up to its name, but it’s also specially made for dogs such as whippets.
Since whippets have a delicate coat, you want a gentle shampoo and has no harmful chemicals or irritants.
This product is made from natural ingredients such as coconut-derived cleansers, jojoba oil, oat, and silk proteins, among others. Also, to give it its distinct smell, the shampoo is scented with jasmine, vanilla, and fresh apples.
I know we said you don’t have to wash your whippets often, but the smell of this shampoo will tempt you to do it. However, as tempting as it might be, don’t fall for it! Washing your whippet often can lead to breakouts and irritation.
The shampoo is fortified with argan oil and jojoba oil, which help moisturise your pet’s skin. Also, despite it being a keratin shampoo with fabulous suds, it rinses easily.
This is important since you should not keep your whippet in the water for an extended period due to their thin coat.
Some manufacturers use paraben to preserve their products. However, this shampoo does not contain any paraben. Paraben is known to irritate a dog’s skin, especially those that are sensitive such as whippets.
In addition, the PH is balanced, and it does not contain any allergens that can harm your adorable puppy.
- Made of all-natural ingredients
- It has an amazing fragrant
- Rinses easily
- Slightly expensive
- Moisturizes as it cleanses the coat of any residue, clarifies and nurtures your dog's coat
- Argan oil, Jojoba oil and keratin add an Extra level of nurturing for your dog's coat
- Cleanses and pampers with fabulous sudsing, yet still rinses easily
- Delicately scented with jasmine, fresh apple and vanilla
- Professional shampoo is ready to use or dilute up to 10: 1
Pet Oatmeal Anti-Itch Shampoo & Conditioner In One
Due to their thin coats, whippets do not accumulate a lot of dirt. However, this does not mean that it won’t get a bit funky over time. Especially since you will only be washing it once or twice every two months.
That is why you need a shampoo that will not only clean your dog but leave it smelling amazing.
Essentially this shampoo has everything you might want. It has anti-itch features, is hypoallergenic, and smells amazing. As we have already established, whippets can have dry skin and easily develop allergies.
Thus it would be best if you had shampoo like this one, which is gentle and does not irritate your pet’s skin.
The anti-itch formula is particularly comprehensive. The shampoo has natural oatmeal, baking soda, aloe vera, and coconut. The perfect mix that will provide relief from hot-spots and itching.
Basically, this is not only shampoo, it’s a conditioner, lotion, soap, and anti-fungal treatment. You can say it the whole package.
Additionally, this shampoo is endorsed by numerous vets to help protect your pet from shedding, fleas, yeast, and allergies. There are also no harmful chemicals that are used in its development.
Lastly, you can use this shampoo on your other pets, e.g., your kitty or even your guinea pig. How amazing is that?
- It is versatile (not harmful to any pets)
- It has an amazing fragrant
- Has zero harmful chemicals
- It comes with a lifetime guarantee
- It’s a bit expensive.
- It needs to be supplemented with other skin conditioners
- Comprehensive anti itch formula: Natural oatmeal, baking soda, and aloe vera based pet shampoo with coconut provides instant itch relief! Our revolutionary pet wash was specially formulated with cats and dogs with sensitive skin and coats in mind, providing relief from hot-spots and itching, approved for guinea pigs as well
- Vet endorsed & smell incredible: The light yet amazing oatmeal cookie scent is the long lasting way to eliminate odor. Vet formulated specifically for large or small dogs and cats. This is the secret of some leading professional groomers
- Pet allergy friendly: All-natural and hypoallergenic soap/shampoo/conditioner/lotion – helps protect your doggy or kitty from itching, shedding, fleas, yeast, & allergies! Zero harmful chemicals (unlike other dog shampoos)
- Tear free & dandruff free: The only natural dog shampoo I’ll use on my own pets from puppy & kitty to senior dogs and cats! Plant derived ingredients are gentle on paw and nose and provide enhanced moisturizing
- Lifetime, no questions asked, manufacturer money back guarantee (yes, lifetime) - You and your pets will Love it or get a full refund, plus it is made 100% in the USA cruelty-free so go ahead and make your fur baby even more huggable by clicking "Add to Cart" now
Healthy Breeds Tearless Puppy Shampoo & Conditioner
You might have several dogs- some young and others older and are wondering which shampoo to go for. To avoid spending a lot of money, it’s best if you look for a product that can be used by both the puppies and the older dogs. If you fall under this category, this is the shampoo for you.
It is mild enough to be applied on puppies as young as four weeks. Basically, the time they get their first bath. Additionally, it is just as effective with older dogs.
The shampoo is made from aloe vera, lanolin, and gentle proteins that leave your dog with a soft and fluffy coat. If you introduce this product to your pups while they are still young, its moisturising and nourishing formula will keep their coats and skin health as they grow up.
Like other products on our list, this shampoo does not contain any harmful chemicals or irritants and can often be used as often as necessary.
You won’t have to worry about your pet losing the natural oils that surround the coat. While this shampoo is ideal for whippets, it can still bathe over 200 dog breeds. You will not have to buy different products for all your dogs.
- Can be used on younger dogs
- Great for moisturising dry skin
- While not harmful to every dog, the shampoo contains traces of chemicals such as Cocamidopropyl Betaine- (can lead to skin discomfort)
- A uniquely gentle shampoo that cleanses and conditions a puppy's skin and coat. Mild enough for use on the face of puppies 4 weeks of age and older.
- Formulated with the proper ingredients to maintain a moisturized and nourished coat as they get older. Contains aloe Vera, lanolin, and gentle proteins that leave a soft, fluffy coat.
- Safe for use with topical flea control products. No harmful chemicals or irritants. It can be used as often as necessary and will not strip the coat of natural oils.
- Made in the USA so you can buy with confidence. All shampoos made in federally regulated manufacturing facilities. Excellent customer service and return policy. 100% satisfaction Guaranteed.
- Healthy Breeds offers an assortment of dog healthcare products, grooming products and treats for over 200 breeds! Make sure to search for your breed! Click the Healthy Breeds hyperlink above to see our amazon storefront!
Vet’s Best Hypo-Allergenic Shampoo for Dogs
Most of the time, when you bathe your whippet, it gets very itchy. This is because its skin is very sensitive, and the gets allergic reactions all the time. Fortunately, with the right shampoo, this can be a story of the past.
This shampoo from Vets Best has been proven to be 100% effective when it comes to relieving itching. In addition, it helps moisturise dog coats that are dry and brittle such as those of whippets.
Compared to all other products on our list, we can comfortably say that this is the best Hypo-Allergenic dog shampoo. It is soap-free (soap can irritate whippets’ skin), and it’s made from natural ingredients.
Some of the ingredients that make up this soap include aloe vera, vitamin E, and other plant-based raw materials.
All these are perfectly blended to give you a product that you can use as often as need be without having to worry about harming your dog. Continuous usage will slowly remove allergens without drying your dog’s skin.
Another cool thing about this shampoo is that it can be complemented with other products and treatments to ensure optimal results. For instance, you can use it alongside products used to control fleas and ticks.
- Compatible with other skincare products
- It is hypo-allergenic
- Made from natural ingredients
- Not ideal for most dog breeds
- Has no distinguishable fragrant
- RELIEF FOR SENSITIVE SKIN - Vet’s Best Hypo-Allergenic Dog Shampoo for sensitive skin is a gentle, soap-free shampoo for dogs that relieves itching and helps to smooth dry, brittle coats
- NATURAL REMEDY- Veterinarian formulated blend of key natural, plant-based ingredients like Aloe Vera and Vitamin E to comfort sensitive skin and relieve your pet’s allergies.
- USE AS NEEDED - Vet’s Best Hypo-Allergenic Dog Shampoo may be used as often as necessary to remove allergens without drying out your dog’s skin
- WORKS WITH OTHER TREATMENTS – Our shampoo will not affect other dog treatments such as topical flea and tick control products
- TOTAL CARE- Vet’s Best Hypo-Allergenic Dog Shampoo is part of our complete treatment system for dry and sensitive skin. Use with Vet’s Best Moisture Mist and Vet’s Best Ear Relief Wash & Dry
Bark2Basics Sensi-Skin Hypoallergenic Dog Shampoo
You might have noticed that almost every product that we have recommended has been hypoallergenic. Well, here is another similar product.
Trust me, no one is sponsoring us to promote hypoallergenic products. Whippets have a naturally sensitive coat and skin and are prone to allergic reactions. Therefore, even if you have not noticed your dog itching after its bathe, never buy shampoo that is not hypoallergenic.
If you do not like the scents that come with some shampoos such as avocado or vanilla, this is the best product for you.
It contains all the essential things that you might want in a dog shampoo minus the smell, which can be honest for some. However, for me, I don’t love fragrant shampoos.
Over time your whippet might lose its shiny coat. With Sensi-Skin, you can restore your dog’s vibrant coating.
This shampoo is all handmade, and the manufacturers use only the finest ingredients that are derived from plants. Similar to the previous shampoo, it does not wash off flea and ticks tropical products. However, please do not use it on pets that are younger than 8 weeks.
- Compatible with other skincare products
- It is hypo-allergenic
- You can use it on multiple pets
- All the batches are handmade
- Cannot be used on dogs younger than 8 weeks
- Gentle Cleaning - Gently cleans the coat, restoring shine and manageability, while being mild on the skin. Great for dogs with dry itchy skin.
- Crafted To Minimize Irritancy - Fragrance Free, Made especially for pets with sensitive skin or skin allergies. Safe for use on puppies and cats 8 weeks and older.
- Used By Grooming Professionals - Used by professional pet stylists and groomers worldwide. Our professional-grade, concentrated pet shampoos and conditioners are the same premium pet products used at grooming salons around the world. This product is also safe for use on cats.
- Makes 16 Gallons of Dog Shampoo - 16:1 Concentration can be diluted 16 parts water to 1 part shampoo or used at full strength if desired. pH-balanced formula that is expertly crafted for your pets’ skin to gently clean without causing skin and coat irritation.
- Proudly Made in the USA with the Highest Quality Naturally Derived Ingredients - Handcrafted in small batches to ensure the highest quality for your furry friends. Will not wash off flea and tick topical products if used per manufacturer's directions. Cruelty-Free, Soap-Free, Paraben Free, and 100% Biodegradable.
How To Wash Your Whippet Correctly
Whippets naturally dislike water. As such, it might be challenging to wash them properly. However, there are a few things you can do to make the whole exercise a little easier.
Where Should You Wash Your whippet?
We don’t mean which body parts to wash and which to leave out. No, we are referring to the ideal location where you can bathe your puppy.
This is mainly determined by your pet’s size, behaviour, season, and type of house you live in. You can choose to wash it indoors or outdoors.
However, due to their dislike for water, it is important that you first. For example, you can have a dedicated area in your backyard that you can use for this purpose.
You can attach your dog to a tree or have a little fence around your washing area. There are also several good leash straps that are designed for this purpose.
Use A Non-slip Carpet
Any contact with water can make your dog jump into a frenzy. If the surface is slippery, your doggy, my even injury itself.
This is very likely if you are going to wash it in a bathtub. Go for a mat that is easy to install, does not float, and, more importantly, non-slip.
The Washing Part
Now to the most important part- How to actually wash your dog with the shampoo you buy.
- The first thing that you need to do is have a petting session with your puppy. This will help reassure it and be a little comfortable with water.
- Please don’t take your hose and immediately drawn it in water. Instead, gently introduce the water and allow it to get a little wet around its head.
- Continue pouring warm water over its head, avoiding the eyes and nose.
- Put a little shampoo around its neck and rub it gently over its head. Remember to avoid the eyes and nose.
- Before moving to the rest of the body, rinse your puppy’s head with a showerhead.
- Now apply the shampoo all over your dog’s body and its tail.
- Rub it generously, and as soon as you’re done, rinse it off thoroughly.
- Due to their thin coats, you don’t want to wash your whippet for a long time. Ensure you are done as fast as you can and dry it immediately with a large towel. You can also use a hairdryer if you have one.
How Often Should I Wash My Whippet?
You do not need to wash your whippet a lot. It is actually not advisable. You can wash them once or twice every two months. Or just when they get dirty.
However, if you live in the countryside and your dog tends to walk in the mud or swim in the lakes, you might need to wash it more. For an average whippet, if it does not have a foul smell and its coat is clean and shiny, there is no need to wash it.
Can Shampoo Harm My Whippet?
Unfortunately, Yes. If you buy the wrong shampoo, you might end up harming your pet. Remember, whippets are sensitive dogs.
Therefore, you need a gentle enough shampoo to clean them without harming their coat and skin. Also, make sure you understand your dog’s allergies to avoid buying shampoo that can irritate their skin.
What Is The Best Type Of Shampoo For Whippets?
Always go for hypoallergenic shampoos. This is because whippets are prone to allergies. Also, look for shampoos that are made from natural ingredients.
The only problem with this is that dog shampoos are not adequately regulated. For example, some manufacturers still use SLS, which is a cheap foaming agent that can harm dogs, especially those with sensitive skin.
Therefore, be sure to understand what the shampoo you intend to buy is made out of.
Can I Use The Same Shampoo On Other Pets?
While some shampoos are designed to be used for different pets, we advise that you be cautious before using your cat shampoo on your whippet.
It would be best if you have a dedicated shampoo for your whippet to be able to cater to its sensitive nature.
However, if you are going to use your cat’s shampoo, ensure that it is hypoallergenic, and does not contain irritants or other ingredients that can harm your puppy.
We all want a dog that is clean and smells amazing. Washing your pet with the right shampoo will not only keep it clean but will also improve the health of its coat and skin.
Lastly, I know we have said this numerous times across the article- but whippets are gentle and sensitive, ensure you go for a shampoo that can cater to this.
Other Popular Posts
- 6 Best Dog Muzzles For Whippets
- 6 Best Dog Brushes For Whippets
- 6 Best Dog Blankets For Whippets
- 5 Best Dog Bowls For Whippets
- 8 Best Dog Toys For Whippets
Hello. I’m Luke- the founder of WhippetCentral. I’m somewhat of a whippet nut and have been for most of my life. In that time, I’ve owned and raised numerous whippets. Bonnie is my latest girl; she is currently eight years old and keeps me very busy! Understanding the need for whippet-specific content, I decided to create this blog to share what I have learned and to share my expertise regarding owning and raising whippets – the right way!
Last update on 2024-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API