We’re an affiliate
We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, we may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Thank you if you use our links, we really appreciate it!
Whippets are not known to be aggressive. They are gentle and very polite to strangers. As such you might be confused as to why you need a muzzle in the first place.
While the primary function of dog muzzles is to prevent them from biting people and other pets, they serve a ton of other purposes.
For example, they are used to reduce barking, when the dog is recovering from a serious injury, during grooming sessions or when visiting the vet. Therefore, when you see a dog wearing a muzzle don’t immediately assume that it is a lunging and snarling aggressive puppy.
Even if you own a sweet whippet, you need to understand why, when, and how you should use a muzzle. The first step towards this is knowing which muzzle is ideal for your dog.
Muzzles come in all shapes and sizes, and given the unique shape of whippets i.e. long, thin faces not all of them can fit.
In this article, we will review some of the best muzzles that are suited for whippets. We will also address things such as; what to look for in a dog muzzle, and also how and when you should muzzle your dog.
In a hurry?
If you’re in a hurry and don’t have time to read the whole article, I’ve linked the best dog muzzles for Whippets below for you to find on Amazon. Rest assured we only choose the best products for our readers.
Best Overall – Muzzle Don Pare Model 103 Training and Transport Muzzle
Best Budget Blanket – REENUO Dog Muzzle Prevent for Biting Barking and Chewing
Best Premium Blanket – Gentle Muzzle Guard for Dogs – Prevents Biting and Unwanted Chewing Safely Secure Comfort Fit
What To Consider Before Buying A Dog Muzzle
The Purpose: As we had stated earlier, muzzles serve a ton of purposes- aside from controlling aggression. As such, you first need to know the exact purpose you want your muzzle to serve.
For instance, if you want to use it for training or exercise then you should go for a basket muzzle. On the other hand, if you want one for grooming purposes, your best bet would be a fabric muzzle.
Material: Most muzzles are made from rubber, plastic, nylon, wire, and even mesh. The type of material used is mainly dictated by the design and use of your muzzle. For instance, most basket muzzles are made from wire, plastic, rubber, and leather.
Breathable: Unlike humans, dogs don’t have sweat glands all over their bodies. Instead, they regulate their temperature by panting. Therefore, ensure the muzzle you go for is breathable to ensure your pet is comfortable and safe.
Spacious: The muzzle you go for should allow your dog to drink and eat treats through the bars. Muzzles that are too tight and don’t leave room for drinking or panting are not ideal for long term use. However, you can use them during grooming sessions or when visiting the vet.
The Breed: This is another important consideration as it dictates the shape and size of your dog’s snout. In particular, the proportions of a whippet’s head and nose are drastically different from that of other dogs.
Whippets have long, thin faces, therefore, tube muzzles are ideal for them as they offer you a little more wiggle room- you don’t have to know the exact measurements of your pet’s face. However, with fabric and basket muzzles, you have to be accurate when it comes to the length, width, and head size of your doggo to ensure that it fits.
6 Best Dog Muzzles for Whippets
Muzzle Don Pare Model 103
If you are looking for a versatile muzzle, this is the best product for you. As we had stated earlier, an ideal muzzle should be breathable, allow your dog to pant and also be spacious enough for it to drink and eat its treats.
This muzzle from Don Pare is specifically designed for medium size dogs that have narrow heads- exactly what you want for your whippet.
The muzzle measurements are depth: 3.15 Inches; width: 1.18 Inches (front) 2.75 Inches rear; length of the muzzle: 2.3 Inches; length of the brackets: 4.3 Inches.
I know you might now be rushing to take your tape and start measuring your dog’s face. While this is important, with the Don Pare muzzle you don’t have to be 100% accurate. This is because it comes with an adjustable back strap that allows you to adjust it depending on your dog’s size.
These adjustable back straps are made from leather to ensure maximum comfort. Also, the product comes with a nose ridge protector and a flat underneath the surface that ensures that your puppy is comfortable even when it’s lying down.
In addition, the front part of the muzzle is made from lightweight plastic that is easy to clean and is also skin-friendly. Given all these amazing features, this product is suitable for everyday use such as walking, controlling aggression, and even racing.
- It is made from skin-friendly plastic
- It is made from plastic making it lightweight
- Has an adjustable leather strap that allows it to fit on most dogs
- It is versatile
- Relatively affordable
- The plastic is not sturdy enough and can easily break
- Likely to cause cuts
- FEATURES: lightweight, but strong plastic muzzle. Hypoallergenic, hygienic, antibacterial, skin-friendly.
- COMFORT: with a nose ridge protector and adjustable leather straps. The muzzle is flat underneath and so also comfortable for the dog when lying down. All-round an ideal fit.
- GREAT ALTERNATIVE: this muzzle is also a great alternative to the standard collar worn after ops. Panting, drinking and eating are all unhindered.
- APPLICATION: absolutely ideal as a recreational muzzle for dog walking areas, and also as a racing muzzle or as a kennel or cage muzzle.
- DIMENSIONS: depth: 3.15 Inches; width: 1.18 Inches (front) 2.75 Inches rear; length of the muzzle: 2.3 Inches; length of the brackets: 4.3 Inches; colour: Black ; manufacturer: amathings
There is often a debate as to whether muzzles are humane. A lot of people tend to associate, these products with torture rather than a necessary dog accessory. Well, this muzzle from Baskerville is here to debunk that misconception and show that these products can be humane, comfortable, and safe for dogs.
While several muzzles are bad and can even injure your puppy, this is not one of them. What separates it from the rest is that it is strong enough to handle most dogs while still being comfortable and not cause your puppy distress.
It has an ergonomic design that ensures it does not fall off even when your pet moves or tries to pull it.
Just like our previous product, this one is also designed to be breathable and also offers your four-legged friend a fair degree of freedom to pant, drink, and eat its treats as it is made from a soft plastic mesh.
This makes this muzzle great for everyday use. It also prevents food scavenging, discourages your dog from harmful self-licking. This comes in handy especially when your dog is recovering from an injury.
However, with this product, it would be best for you to take your dog’s measurements. This is because it comes in a wide range of sizes and you might end up buying one that won’t fit your pet.
- It is soft and lightweight
- It allows your pet to still eat and drink when wearing it
- Has extra padding for maximum comfort
- The ergonomic design keeps the muzzle secured at all times
- Relatively affordable
- The plastic structure is not sturdy enough
- DOGS CAN PANT AND DRINK: The Baskerville Anti Scavenge Muzzle HUMANE DESIGN allows dogs to pant (when hot or stressed) and drink. SUITABLE FOR DAILY WALKS and longer periods of wear.
- ANTI SCAVENGING GUARD: this muzzle is a specially designed with an additional guard insert to PREVENT SCAVENGING of FOOD and WILDLIFE.
- IDEAL FOR REACTIVE DOGS: you can TRAIN and REWARD TREAT your dog if they are reactive around other dogs or new people (remove additonal guard insert)
- VERSATILE & SAFE: with STRONG plastic muzzle basket. SAFE FOR BITE PREVENTION in all situations. Comes with secure and easy use NECK STRAP CLIP attachment.
- COMFORTABLE FIT: PADDED NOSE piece and NO METALWORK ON DOGS FACE. Comes in 10 SIZES for dog owners looking for Small, Medium or Large sized dog muzzles. Ideal for LONGER NOSED DOGS e.g. GREYHOUND.
JWPC Adjustable Anti-biting Dog Soft Silica Gel Muzzle
The type of muzzle you go for should be primarily influenced by its purpose. However, some muzzles such as this one from JWPC are versatile enough to be used for different purposes. It is great for walks, prevents food scavenging, and also helps reduce aggression.
Since it is a basket muzzle you fit it on your dog every day and not have to worry about it being uncomfortable or not having proper air circulation. It is also made from high-quality soft silica gel.
This is way better than plastic as it is more comfortable and cannot cut your puppy even when tightly fitted. The straps are made from nylon and have a quick-release buckle that makes it easy for you to fit the muzzle and remove it.
Additionally, it comes with an adjustable strap that allows for easy use. However, while this might give you a little margin for error when it comes to measurements- it is still advisable that you measure your dog’s snout correctly.
Ensure that know the circumference midway between the tip of the snout and eyes, under the chin, and over the top of your dog’s muzzle. This is because the product comes in a wide array of sizes.
- It is very versatile
- Well-fitting and comfortable.
- It is soft and lightweight
- It is made from soft silica gel thus it cannot cut your puppy.
- It is a bit loose on the sides and your pup can easily remove it
- Not very durable
- Well-fitting & Comfortable - This muzzle is made of high quality Soft Silica Gel?Designed with adjustable strap,Easy to use
- ADJUSTABLE STRAP:Adjustable nylon Reflective strap with a quick-release buckle and comfort strip for the dog's snout.
- Breathe freely ,Lightweight and durable
- Anti-biting - Protect your children when staying with dogs, also protect your dogs from eating leftovers in the street
- This muzzle features a basket design that gives all-around protection,It allows unrestricted panting and drinking
IREENUO Dog Muzzle
Some muzzles are just meant for occasional use for example when visiting the vet or when you are grooming. This muzzle from Ireenuo is specifically designed for owners who only want to muzzle their dogs on rare occasions.
This type of muzzle completely restricts the dog’s mouth and prevents it from biting, barking, and chewing.
While this particular type of muzzles might be uncomfortable for dogs, they are sometimes necessary for example when your dog is injured and has to have a shot.
Even if your dog is friendly and sweet it can still bite when it’s in pain and anxious. Nonetheless, Ireenuo has done a great job in trying to make this muzzle as comfortable as it can be.
For instance, it is made from soft breathable mesh and has soft fabric around the edges. This ensures that the dog is not hurt even when the muzzle is tightly fitted.
In addition, this muzzle leaves a lot of room for your dog to breathe as it does not cover its mouth. Your puppy can also get to gasp and even drink water.
Another thing we like about this muzzle is how easy it is to fit on your dog. It has a Velcro design which allows it to be adjusted to the most appropriate size. Therefore, you don’t have to worry about it not fitting your ‘long faced’ whippet.
- It can fit different sized dogs
- It is made from soft breathable fabric
- Easy to wear and clean
- It is not ideal for everyday use
- It can be uncomfortable for your puppy
- 【More Comfortable Fabric】 Made from soft breathing mesh and soft fabric around the edges. The dog muzzle cover is a humane way to limit your dog biting, barking, chewing and other bad habits while keeps your dog dressed for comfort, does not hurt his or her mouth.
- 【More Humanized Design】 Different from the traditional dog mask, wearing the dog mouth cover, you can leave a proper space for your dog mouth to breathe, gasp and drink. The more humane design solves the inconvenience of traditional dog masks that do not drink water.
- 【Adjustable Size】 The velcro design allows the dog muzzle to be adjusted to the most appropriate size depending on the shape of the dog mouth. And the adjustable loop connecting the collar helps to keep muzzle securely in place, ensures fit snugly and Anti-slipped.
- 【Easy To Wear and Clean】 The combination of double velcro and buckle makes it easy to wear a dog guard cover for a dog. Any excess strap length can easily be secured with a hook and loop fastener to prevent loose ends as well. It could also be washed by the washing machine, and dry flat.
- 【NOTICE】 This dog muzzle IS NOT suitable for short nose dogs, such as French Bulldog, Chihuahua, Shih Tzu, etc. If you are confused about selecting the size or have questions after receiving the goods, please feel free to contact us.
REENUO Dog Muzzles Mesh Breathable Nylon Adjustable Loop Dog Training Muzzle
Whippets are adorable, sweet, and are not aggressive. As such, there is no need for them to have a muzzle every time. An average whippet would only use a muzzle occasionally for example when going to the vet. That’s where the Reenuo dog muzzle comes in.
This muzzle is designed to be used on rare occasions. This is because it is an anti-biting and anti-chewing muzzle. It essentially covers the dog’s snout while leaving room for it to breathe and even drink water.
Since such types of muzzles can be uncomfortable for your pet, Reenuo has ensured that its product is made from soft breathable fabric. The edges are also made to prevent any abrasion of the dog’s skin.
What’s great about this product is that even if you make a mistake when choosing the size, it has a Velcro design and an adjustable ring that ensures compatibility with your dog.
For instance, if it’s a bit big for your dog you can secure the excess strap with a hook. It also has a loop fastener that prevents loose ends. No matter how much your dog tries, it won’t be able to pull it out. Additionally, it is easy to clean as you can use a washing machine.
- It leaves enough room in the snout for easy breathing
- It has extra padding that maximize comfort.
- Easy to clean
- Fits effortlessly on your puppy
- Only ideal for occasional use
Gentle Muzzle Guard for Dogs
We might not want to admit it, but at times our furry friends can be a bit aggressive. However, for whippets, this is primarily caused by an incident that makes it anxious for instance, and injury.
At the end of the day, dogs are still animals and their biting instincts can kick in when it feels threatened. The most humane way to control this behaviour is to go for this Gentle Muzzle Guard.
A muzzle that restrains the dog’s mouth has to be as comfortable as it can be. That is why GoodBoy ensures their muzzles come with comfortable neoprene padding which eliminates chafing. It also eliminates hot spots and ensures your dog’s snout is healthy.
When compared to other muzzles on this list, this one is a bit expensive and for a good reason. It is fitted with a high-quality slider for a perfect fit. These sliders are adjustable and do not loosen over time.
Also, any excess strap length is secured with a hook and loop fastener to prevent the muzzle from falling off. Lastly, it comes with a bonus collar and connection strap that holds the muzzle in place.
- It is made from high-quality material
- Very durable
- Comes with a bonus collar and connection strap
- It is fitted with comfortable neoprene padding
- Slightly expensive
- Updated - Easy to Measure for Accurate Size – Simply follow the guide on Picture 3 to learn how to measure your new muzzle to get the right size for your dog. The adjustable strap makes it easy to get the best fit for your dog’s snout and mouth. Customer support is here to help with any sizing questions or issues.
- Bonus Connection Strap for More Secure Fit – For dogs who need more time adjusting to their new muzzle, we’ve added a bonus connection strap that goes over their head for a secure fit that no dog can get out of.
- Improved design to prevent biting, barking, and unwanted chewing – This muzzle is great for limiting your dog's ability to bite, chew and bark while still allowing your dog to breathe, pant, and drink water. It’s a humane choice for preventing unwanted biting or chewing. See our images for examples.
- Comfortable Neoprene Padding. Zero Chafing – Save your dog from painful chafing and rough straps. Most muzzles are painful and can rub your dog’s skin raw. GoodBoy makes a comfy, humane muzzle that keeps your dog happy.
- High Quality Sliders. No Cheap Buckles – The sliders ensure that your dog can’t loosen the straps while giving you more control over the exact fit. Plus, loose ends can be secured with a hook and loop fastener, unlike with buckles.
Steps to Muzzle Condition Your Whippet
It’s one thing to buy the right muzzle for your dog, however, it’s another thing to get your puppy to wear one. You have to condition your dog to wear a muzzle. Below are a few steps you can follow to ensure your dog properly adjusts to the change.
- Use treats – Since no dog wants to voluntarily wear a muzzle you need to use high-value treats such as hot dogs, chicken nuggets, etc. Start by showing your dog the muzzle and then give it a treat. Hide the muzzle and stop giving it treats. Continue doing this and soon your dog will be excited each time it sees the muzzle.
- Next, apply peanut butter or spray cheese inside the muzzle and let your puppy lick it. When it is done put more treats in the muzzle and repeat this several times.
- You can include verbal cues each time your dog puts its head in the muzzle to lick the treats such as, ‘muzzle’ or whatever you like. Also, encourage your dog to keep its snout in the muzzle. You can try feeding it extra treats through the muzzle as it licks the peanut butter. Do this until your dog is happily and voluntarily pushing its nose in the muzzle.
- As your dog is licking and eating its treats, try and gently secure the strap. Do this for a brief moment then release it. Go ahead to do this as you increase the duration.
- After these steps, your dog will gradually become comfortable wearing the muzzle.
Does A Muzzle Hurt My Whippet?
Whether or not a muzzle can hurt your dog will depend on the type of muzzle you go for and how you use it. If you go for a muzzle that completely restrains your dog’s snout, it might not be able to pant, which can make it uncomfortable and overheated.
Also, for muzzles made of materials such as plastic, splits can cause cuts. Ensure you use the right type of muzzle and only utilize it when needed.
When Should I Muzzle My Whippet?
Whippets are gentle and are not known to be aggressive. Therefore, you only need to use a muzzle when going to the vet, or during grooming sessions. However, if your puppy has a biting history you can use it when taking it for a walk.
Is Using A Muzzle Effective?
A muzzle is very effective depending on how you want to use it. However, remember that a muzzle does not rectify any underlying psychological condition that your dog might have.
Therefore, if your dog is a biter a muzzle will only prevent it from biting people but it will not address why it bites.
How Often Should I Muzzle My Whippet?
As stated earlier, there is no need to muzzle your whippet often. Only do it when it’s needed for instance when your dog is nursing an injury.
Muzzles might seem cruel- however, they are far from that. Actually, a muzzle can be a necessary accessory for any dog owner.
This is because dogs even the gentle ones such as whippets will always have a moment when their animal instincts kick in and they bite.
For example, during visits to the vet or when you are grooming it. However, they can also be used to control barking, prevents food scavenging, and discourages your dog from harmful self-licking. Just ensure you buy the right muzzle for your dog.
Other Popular Posts
- 6 Best Dog Brushes For Whippets
- 6 Best Dog Blankets For Whippets
- 8 Best Dog Toys For Whippets
- 6 Best Dog Leashes For Whippets
- 8 Best Dog Coats For Whippets
Hello. I’m Luke- the founder of WhippetCentral. I’m somewhat of a whippet nut and have been for most of my life. In that time, I’ve owned and raised numerous whippets. Bonnie is my latest girl; she is currently eight years old and keeps me very busy! Understanding the need for whippet-specific content, I decided to create this blog to share what I have learned and to share my expertise regarding owning and raising whippets – the right way!
Last update on 2023-09-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API